Sweet, Sweet Butternut…Squash Soup!
So, I had quite a bit of butternut squash and didn’t know what to do with it. After a bit of thinking I remembered that I could make this delicious dish for dinner.
- 6 Cups of cubed butternut squash
- 4 Tablespoons of butter
- 3 Cups of water
- 1/2 Teaspoon of nutmeg
- 1/4 Teaspoon of ground white pepper
- 1/4 Teaspoon of ground black pepper
- 16 ounces of cream cheese
- Melt butter in a large soup pan
- Add water, spices, and squash
- After bringing to a boil, cook until squash is tender, about 25 minutes
- Puree squash in a food processor and add cream cheese slowly, blend until smooth
- Return to pan and heat until it begins to bubble, but do not allow it to come to a boil
That’s it! I like to garnish it with a bit of nutmeg when I serve it. It just gives it a little bit of something extra. It isn’t needed for flavour or anything. Enjoy this delicious soup during the cooler part of fall. Squash and other gourds come into season around that time and are a great way to use a seasonal fruit in your meal. You can even substitute butternut squash for pumpkin for something a bit more different!