While I may not be overly fond of breakfast food, I do love pancakes and waffles. People in the United States will throw a fit about that by saying that those two foods are staples of the good ol’ American breakfast. Hold your horses though! I am a world traveler remember! In a lot of countries breakfast is not commonly eaten. Unless you are nursing a hangover. Not a lot of people outside of, well pretty much everyone country outside of the United States, but pancakes and waffles are usually enjoyed as a snack and not as a meal. *gasp!* You mean to tell me that you can get those delicious food items anytime you want? Oh yes, and you can sometimes buy them at street vendor’s carts. It really is amazing.
The pancakes pictured above are more of a meal type pancake though. Yeah, I know I just told you all that pancakes aren’t made for meals most of the time, but these are. Let me tell you why. Those rolled up pancakes are filled with creamed mushrooms. That may sound weird to some, but they are really good! Also, they are vegetarian friendly and if you leave the cheese off the top and replace the milk with soy milk, or other milk supplement of your choice, they are also vegan friendly! The only recipe that I have for this is metric and since I have metric measuring cups, this recipe has not been converted.
Ingredients for Pancakes
- 2 large eggs
- 2.5 oz of unbleached flour
- 0.5 pint of milk
- 1.5 tablespoon butter
Directions for Pancakes
- While making the rest of the batter melt the butter, making sure to coat the bottom of the pancake pan and that the butter doesn’t burn
- Whisk the eggs with about half of the milk
- Add the flour and whisk to a smooth batter while adding the rest of the milk
- Once the butter has fully melted, stir it in to the batter
- Prepare the filling of choice, I will include the creamed mushroom filling that I used down below
- Make sure that when you make the pancakes they are as thin as you can get them
- Cook on the first side until the top appears to be dry then flip and cook for about a minute
- Spread a couple tablespoons of filling on the pancakes and then roll them up.
- Sprinkle some cheese on top while they are hot so that the cheese melts and serve hot
Ingredients for Creamed Mushroom Filling
- 2.5 pints of fresh mushrooms
- 1.5 tablespoons of butter
- allspice and pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons of unbleached flour
- About .75 pints of milk or cream
Directions for Creamed Mushroom Filling
- Rinse mushrooms and chop them into small pieces
- Cook the mushrooms in the butter
- Sprinkle the flour over the top of the mushrooms
- Add the milk or cream and cook for about 5 minutes
- Season with the allspice and pepper to taste
These pancakes can be filled with a variety of things. You can even roll them up with jam or preserves in them like a regular Swedish pancake. Either way, they are delicious! Enjoy!