Sweet Glorious Beignets!
Okie-dokie everyone! I’ve had some requests to post this from numerous people. I’ve also had people wondering when I was going to post it. Sorry it didn’t come sooner. Worry not! Here is my recipe for beignets that I use the most often. There are a few other recipes out there, but this is my go to recipe for making homemade beignets.
- 1/2 of a cup of unsalted butter
- 1 cup of water
- 1/4 of a teaspoon of sea salt
- 1 cup of unbleached, all-purpose flour
- 4 medium sized eggs
- Confectioners’ sugar (optional, but highly recommended)
- Enough oil for frying
- Melt the butter with the water over medium heat, but do not allow the mixture to boil
- In a large bowl, mix the flour and salt together
- Add the eggs and mix together
- Slowly add in the water and butter mixture, you have to add it slowly or the eggs will scramble
- Chill for a couple of hours
- Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface and cut out about 2 inch square pieces
- Mix the batter until smooth and well combined
- Heat the oil util it is hot enough to pop when a drop of water is dropped in
- Drop the squares into the dough and cook for a few minutes on each side until golden in colour, allowing the dough to pop when cooking
- Place the finished ones on a plate covered in paper towels
- Dust with the confectioners’ sugar and enjoy
There you have it! Enjoy them with coffee or by themselves. You can also put jam on them and eat them that way. They are wonderful and delicious!