Is it Possible to Make Salty Ice Cream? Yes!
I have had a lot people tell me that I don’t post enough salty things. Well, that is because I don’t cook with a lot of salt. In fact, I usually don’t use it in my cooking at all even if the recipe calls for it. However, since lately the site seems to be filled with things about “Kingdom Hearts”, I figured, why not do something that goes along with that. The only problem, there aren’t many food items referenced in the games apart from various ice creams that are easy enough to make since they are sundaes. Seriously, the people of Disney and Square Enix must have a bigger sweet tooth than my church’s youth minister. There is one particular food item that is featured in several games. If you play the games you know what I am talking about: Sea Salt Ice Cream. Despite not being very fond of salty foods, this is pretty good. Yes, it is an actual thing and it was around before the games! One of the developers ate some at the Tokyo DisneySea and wanted to put it into the game somehow. Thankfully, that wasn’t too hard to accomplish since the “Kingdom Hearts” franchise is a join effort between Square Enix and Disney. Don’t believe me, the picture on the right it what it looks like at the parks. Thanks for having an image of that DisneyWikia! Awesome! So, what does it look like in the game? Well, it isn’t in a bowl. It looks more like a popsicle. Since most people want to make the ice cream look like the stuff in-game, this is what it looks like on the left. You do have to eat it fast when you get it out of the freezer because it does melt quickly because of the salt in it. It will actually slide off the stick if you aren’t careful and you’ll end up loosing it like Roxas does in the game. So, how do you make this delicious treat? It really isn’t that hard and uses a fairly common ice cream base. This is how I made mine when I feel like having geeky treats.
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups of whole milk (I can’t get it to come out right if I use soy milk or any other kind of milk)
- ⅓ a cup of vanilla sugar
- 1 tsp of pure vanilla
- 1 cup of heavy whipping cream
- About a ½ of a Tbsp of sea salt
- About 6 drops of Wilton Teal Icing Colour, it is number 610-207 if that helps
- Separate the egg yolks from the whites and set yolks aside.
- Beat the eggs with an electric mixer until they form start to form stiff peaks.
- In a separate bowl, mix the egg yolks and vanilla sugar together
- In a medium saucepan, cook milk at medium heat until it begins to boil. Make sure to stir the milk as it can and will burn.
- Pour the yolk mixture in to the milk and stir until well blended.
- Cook until it is about the consistency of a custard. Keep stirring occasionally.
- Pour this mixture into the egg whites and mix.
- Add your salt. You may want more or less depending on your taste. The measurement above is what I end up using. If in doubt, start with a pinch and add until your liking.
- Set in the fridge to cool completely, about 45 minutes
- Remove and add in the cream and vanilla extract followed by the food colouring.
- Pour into your popsicle molds and set in the freezer for about 15 minutes or until firm enough to put the popsicle sticks in without them falling over.
There you have it! Enjoy and have fun with it. You can use other colours as well for the food colouring. I just put the colour that matches the in-game colour.